Recent Forum and upcoming activities include:
- $4.9 million 3 year Health Care Sector Grant to the Maine Department of Labor to increase the supply and employment of credentialed health care workers in high-demand occupations. As of April 2012, two thirds of the way through the grant period, the overall target of training 400 people has been greatly surpassed, with 523 trainees currently enrolled and another 110 expected to be enrolled this quarter, in training programs for clinical instructors, allied health professionals, associate and bachelor degree nurses and Certified Nursing Assistants; and
- 2011 Maine Health Workforce Summit was held on 10/18/11 entitled The State of the State’s Health Workforce: Aligning Resources to Meet Maine’s Needs, which included opening comments by Governor LePage as well as a panels comprised of the Commissioners of DOL, DHHS, DOE and DECD, health employers and educators.
- A series of regional meetings are planned for the fall of 2012 that will provide an opportunity to meet and network on a regional basis and develop strategies for addressing regional health workforce needs - See Upcoming Events for more details.
- 2013 Maine Health Workforce Summit scheduled for January 31, 2013 at Wells Conference Center in Orono.
- The Forum’s Recommendation's Guide provided a foundation for the state’s successful application for funds from a HRSA award of a State Health Workforce Planning Grant to the Maine Job’s Council to develop a 10 year health workforce strategic plan. The Maine Health Workforce Strategic Plan was completed at the end of 2011 and will guide the Forum's future work. Prior to completion of the strategic plan, the State Health Care Workforce Planning Grant Final Report was issued and includes: